Creating a RIPrep Image
You can create an RIPrep image as follows:
- Obtain a source computer and install Windows XP Professional.
- Configure all components and settings for your desired client configuration, keeping everything on a single partition (RIPrep Wizard can only image a single partition).
- Install your applications and configure them. Do not install unnecessary applications - remember that RIS requires Active Directory, which can be used to publish or assign software as required using Group Policy.
- Since you created and configured the system using the Administrator profile, you will need to copy your configuration to the Default User profile so that your custom settings will not be lost.
- To launch the RIPrep Wizard, click Start > Run and type the following into the Open box: \\RISServerName\reminst\admin\i386\riprep.exe.
- Provide the name of the RIS Server where the image will be stored, the folder that will hold the image, and a user-friendly text description.
RIS Client machines must meet the minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Professional and clients receiving RIPrep images must use the same Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) as the image file.
They must have a network adapter that meets the Pre-boot Execution Environment (PXE) standard version 99c or higher or a 3 1/2" floppy drive and PCI network adapter supported by the RISStartup Disk utility's list of
Next: RIP vs. CD