Installing from a Disk Image
Before you can install Windows XP Professional from a disk image, you must extract the Windows XP Deployment Tools from the CD-ROM as follows:
- Log onto your Windows XP computer as Administrator and use Windows Explorer to create a folder named Deployment Tools on the root folder of your C: drive.
- Insert the Windows XP Professional CD. Using Windows Explorer, copy the \Support\Tools\Deploy file to the Deployment Tools folder. Double-click the Deploy.cab file to display its contents.
- In Windows Explorer, select Edit > Select All, then select File > Extract.
- The Select a Destination dialog box appears. Select My Computer, Local Disk (C:), and then Deployment Tools. Click the Extract button to extract the files to the specified folder. Check that the Deployment Tools were extracted correctly to C:\Deployment Tools. There should be 11 items (including the Deploy.cab file).
You can now use the System Preparation Tool to create a disk image as follows:
- Log onto the source computer as Administrator and, if desired, install and configure any applications to be installed on the target computer.
- Select Start > Run and click the Browse button. Select Local Drive (C:), Deployment Tools. Double-click Sysprep and click OK.
- In the Windows System Preparation Tool dialog box, click OK. The System Preparation Tool dialog box will appear. Click the Reset button.
- The Windows System Preparation Tool dialog box will ask you to confirm the current settings.
After you've run the System Preparation Tool on the source computer, you can copy the image and then install it on the target computer. This requires the use of proprietary disk-imaging software such as Norton Ghost or the free SelfImage. After the image is copied, turn on the destination computer. The Mini-Setup Wizard runs and prompts you as follows:
- Accept the End User License Agreement.
- Specify regional settings.
- Enter a name and organization.
- Specify your product key.
- Specify the computer name and Administrator password.
- Specify dialing information (if a modem is detected).
- Specify date and time settings.
- Specify which networking protocols and services should be installed.
- Join a workgroup or a domain.
A complete set of instructions is available for download.