Preparing a Server for USMT
- Create a shared folder called USMT.
- Give the migrating user read access to USMT and the Admin account on the destination computer read/write access.
- Create another folder called MigStore - share it with the same name. Both the migrating user and admin account on the destination computer require read/write access.
- Create sub-folders in USMT called Scan and Load.
- Insert the Windows XP product CD and copy these files from \VALUEADD\MSFT\USMT to \USMT\SCAN: scanstate.exe, *.inf, *.dll.
- Copy the following files from \VALUEADD\MSFT\USMT to \USMT\SCAN: loadstate.exe, *.dll, MigUser.inf.
Scanning the source computer
- Log on as the migrating user.
- Map a drive to USMT folder on server.
- From a command prompt, go to USMT/Scan folder on server.
- Run scanstate.exe using this command line: scanstate /i .\migapp.inf /i .\migfiles.inf /i .\sysfiles.inf\\servername\MigStore
5. Once the program has finished running move to the destination computer.
Migrating files to destination computer
- Log on as Admin, not the migrating user, and make sure that the migrating user does not already have an account on destination computer.
- Map drive to the USMT folder on the server.
- From the command prompt go to the USMT/Load folder.
- Run loadstate.exe using this command line: loadstate /i .\miguser.inf \\servername\MigStore
- When the program finishes, logon as the migrating user to verify successful migration. The classic Windows shell should appear, as it is part of migration.
Next: Product Activation