Backing Up the System State
The Backup tool can also be used to back up System State data, including critical files that can be used to rebuild the system. System State data includes the following:
- The Registry
- The component services class registration database-Component Object Model + (COM+) objects
- System startup files
- Certificate Services database (Windows 200X Server domain controllers (DCs) and member servers running Certificate Services only)
- Active Directory (DCs only)
- Sysvol folder (DCs only)
It is not possible to back up individual components of the System State date - it's all or nothing.
A failed system can have the operating system reinstalled from the Windows XP CD-ROM. The System State data can then be restored, bringing the system back to the same condition it was in at the date of the System State backup.
You can configure a System State backup using the Backup Wizard as follows:
- On the What Do You Want To Back Up? page, select Let Me Choose What To Back Up, then click Next.
- On the Items To Back Up page, expand My Computer and mark the check box for System State, then click Next, and follow the remaining instructions from the wizard.
You can also configure a System State backup using Advanced Mode as follows:
- Click the Backup tab.
- Expand My Computer and mark the check box for System State, then click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.
Next: Scheduling Backup Jobs