Because the Internet is a network of networks, when working on the Internet, we are connected to millions of computers throughout the world. This causes a problem, because not everyone in the world is as friendly as you are. So we have to install:
- firewalls to filter out unwanted traffic and hackers;
- anti-virus programs to stop viruses destroying our computers or stealing personal information;
- pop-up blockers and adware programs to stop annoying advertisements;
- anti-spyware to stop people spying on our activities;
- spam filters to filter our e-mail;
- security patches and hot fixes to fix security holes in our operating system.
The list keeps growing!