The main issue affecting website performance is the speed at which your site can be viewed or downloaded. However, the overall quality of your site also has a big impact.
There are a number of things that can affect website performance and quality. Here are some of the most obvious ones:
- Large images: slows down the time it takes to download and view the site.
- Bad hyperlinks: force people to look elsewhere.
- Non-relative Information: forces people to look elsewhere.
- Slow server connection: if the web host's server and connection are slow, this will affect the speed of your website.
- Too much traffic: traffic to your website can be restricted from unlimited access to 10 user connections.
- Badly written scripts: if you use scripts, make sure the code is tested well.
- Access across platforms: make sure your site can be viewed on different browsers and operating systems, as well as different monitor settings.
There are a large number of websites on the Internet offering to test and grade websites or provide software for testing. Some are free, but the better sites will charge you.