E-commerce is the buying and selling of products such as books, clothes and food electronically across networks, that is the Internet. Although some people are worried about buying and selling goods online, many people today buy items online, from CDs to holidays. Whether we like it or not, e-commerce has fast become a huge marketplace. Here are some security guidelines to follow when conducting e-commerce online:
- Check that the web address begins with 'https' rather than 'http' when typing in credit card information. The 's' indicates a secure site.
- Use secure electronic payment schemes such as Paypal: www.paypal.com.
- Never give your account number and password out.
- Never reply to e-mails asking for your bank account details. For example, if you receive a message from a bank asking you to log in to check your account, don't do this; the details will almost certainly be used to access your account fraudulently.
- Check your statements regularly for any discrepancies.
- Limit your online account balance.
Next: Web Database Servers