WSUS is the latest version of Software Update Services (SUS). It builds on the features of SUS by providing the following:
- More updates for Microsoft products, in more categories.
- Ability to automatically download updates from Microsoft Update by product and type.
- More language support for customers worldwide.
- Maximised bandwidth efficiency through Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0.
- Ability to target updates to specific computers and computer groups.
- Ability to verify that updates are suitable for each computer before installation. This feature that runs automatically for critical and security updates.
- Flexible deployment options.
- Reporting capabilities.
- Flexible database options.
- Data migration and import/export capabilities.
- Extensibility through the application programming interface (API).