Setting Up Shadow Copies
Follow these steps to set up shadow copies for a drive volume:
- From My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click an NTFS drive volume, select Properties, and click the Shadow Copies tab. Alternatively, from the Computer Management console, right-click the Shared Folders node and select All Tasks > Configure Shadow Copies.
- From the Shadow Copies tab, select the drive volume that you want to shadow and then click the Settings button.
- From the Settings dialog box, click the Located on This Volume dropdown list box to select the drive volume where the shadow copies for this drive volume will be stored. You can select the same volume or a different NTFS drive volume.
- Select a maximum size by clicking either the No Limit option, or click the Use Limit option and type the storage restriction in the spinner box.
- Click the Schedule button to specify how often you want to create shadow copies for this drive volume.
- From the Schedule tab, you have two daily scheduled shadow copies set up by default: 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 Noon, Monday through Friday of each week.
- To accept the defaults, make no changes.
- To set up an additional scheduled shadow copy, click the New button.
- To remove an existing scheduled shadow copy, select the schedule from the drop-down list box and click the Delete button.
- To modify an existing scheduled shadow copy, select the schedule from the drop-down list box and make the appropriate changes to the Scheduled Task drop-down list box, the Start Time spinner box and the Schedule Task section.
- Click OK to save your settings for the shadow copies scheduling.
- Click OK to save your settings for the Settings dialog box and return to the Shadow Copies tab. Shadow copies for the drive volume are now enabled.
- You can manually create additional shadow copies by clicking the Create Now button.
- You can delete previous shadows copies by selecting one of the date and time stamps in the Shadow Copies of Selected Volume list box and clicking the Delete Now button.
- You can disable shadow copies for a volume, by selecting the volume and clicking the Disable button.
- Click OK to close the properties window for the Shadow Copies tab.
Next: Accessing Shadow Copies