The planning process should follow the same stages, no matter the type of project undertaken.
- All team members understand the background to the project and its relevance to the company or the business.
- Collect as much data as possible from similar projects if they have been carried out before.
- User requirements: Make sure you understand exactly what it is you are being asked to produce.
- Ensure that the timescale clear and achievable.
- Ensure that Cost/Benefit analysis is complete and satisfactory
- Break the project up into manageable tasks
- Add durations, milestones and deadlines
- Identify dependencies (sequence of events)
- Gather the resources required(People, equipment etc)
- Assign the tasks to members of the project team
- Review the plan as the project progresses.
A family prepares the car for a touring holiday in Europe. Make up a task list for this project.