Adapted Question Papers
Adapted Print Question Papers for candidates with visual impairment
Centres can request the following types of adapted print question papers using the AAR system. You can see examples of different font types and sizes by following the links at the bottom of this page:
- Question paper printed on a specified colour
- Standard large print question paper — this is the original question paper enlarged to 18pt, in standard SQA font, on A3 white paper
- Modified large print question paper — this is produced using the following sizes: 14pt; 18pt; 24pt; 36pt and 48pt; and in the following font styles: SQA Standard; Arial; or Comic Sans font. In addition, modified content may be requested and this involves simplifying visual complexity and layout and, where necessary, reducing visual content (while still meeting the same assessment objectives as the original paper)
- Brailled question paper — this involves reducing visual complexity, where necessary, with the paper then being produced in Braille
- Raised diagrams — simple tactile diagrams are produced using heat expanded Minolta paper. These are supplied with Braille papers, but can also be supplied with a modified print paper
To maintain the quality of the adapted question papers and to ensure that they are delivered in time, you should select from the options above using the AAR. Also, due to the time and cost involved in the production of these papers, it is essential that you submit your requests as early as possible, and that the modification required is correctly identified. If your requirements change, please update the AAR as soon as possible.
If your candidate is unable to use any of the options above, please select the ‘other’ box. You will be required to provide details why the candidate is unable to use the options above in the comments box. A member of our Assessment Arrangements team will contact you directly to discuss your requirements. You will be asked to submit your request in writing providing appropriate evidence of why the options available are not suitable and justifying the need for a different adaptation.
The deadline for requests is 31 January of the year of the examination.
Sample Fonts in 14pt, 18pt, 24pt, 36pt, 48pt
- SQA Standard Font for Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2, Higher & Advanced Higher question papers (100 KB)
- SQA Standard Font for N5 and future new question papers (138 KB)
- Arial (21 KB)
- Comic Sans (47 KB)
- N5 English Critical Reading Specimen Paper
- 2008 English (Intermediate 1) Close Reading – 18pt, SQA Standard Font, A4 (113 KB)
- 2008 Chemistry (Higher) – 14pt, Comic Sans, A4 (230 KB)
- 2008 Craft and Design (Standard Grade Foundation) – 24pt, Arial, A3 (363 KB)
You do not need to seek approval from SQA to produce large print or Braille assessment material in your centre, provided the adapted material still meets the same assessment objectives as the original.
If there is any concern that you have changed the nature of the assessment, please contact us for advice.