A Marker marks candidates’ work in line with detailed marking instructions and in accordance with SQA policy and procedures.
The prime role is to ensure consistent application of national standards when marking candidate submission(s).
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Assessor, Senior Team Leader and/or Team Leader and staff from SQA’s Qualification Development and Operations business directorates as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Attend appropriate standardisation meeting(s) as required
- Mark to national standards in accordance with specified procedures and timescales
- Complete marking duties in line with General Marking Instructions
- Submit a Marker report
- Support SQA with continuous improvement developments
Successful candidates must:
- Have 2 years current teaching experience and be delivering Intermediate 1, Intermediate 2 or National 5 Qualifications.
- Be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard.
- Be able to work professionally and co-operatively with other appointees and SQA staff.
- Be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills with an ability to meet deadlines.
- Have a home computer or laptop with Broadband internet connection and a private email address.
Computer hardware and software specifications minimum requirements for eMarking are as follows:
- Window 7 Service Pack 1
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Service Pack 3
- 1 GHz processor
- 512 Mb RAM
- Mac OS
- Apple Mac OS X 10.5 or above
- Intel Core™ Duo 1.83Hhz or faster processor
- 512Mb RAM
- Internet Bandwidth (minimum)
- 1 Mbits/s download
- 128 Kbits/s upload
You can check your internet bandwidth using the enclosed guidance.
- Screen Resolution
- 1024 x 768
- Adobe Acrobat (for viewing Detailed Marking Instructions)
- Microsoft Silverlight (for scoris assessor)
Marker KPMs as of March 2014
Marker KPMs as from March 2014 Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Marker contract specification, the Marker will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Mark in line with detailed marking instructions.
- Submit marks, return marked candidates submissions where appropriate and complete administrative tasks by specified dates and in accordance with SQA policy and instructions.
- Submit a marker report on completion of marking allocation, providing feedback on examination performance.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.