A Vetter is responsible for reviewing questions, items or tasks for the pre examination team and appropriate supporting marking instructions for external assessments within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The prime role is to work with assessment materials produced by the Principal Assessor and other SQA appointees to check the consistent application of national standards and subject specific integrity of decision-making in relation to external assessment arrangements.
These activities will be under the direction of staff from SQA’s Qualifications and Operations business directorates as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Review assessment materials to ensure compliance with standards and provide written comment and recommendations if required
- Work through assessment questions, items and/or tasks
- Review the practicality of tasks
- Check the validity, accuracy and relevance of marking instructions
- Prepare for and participate in pre examination procedures in accordance with SQA policy, procedures and instructions
- Ensure procedures are concluded within agreed time frames and assist in ensuring resources are used effectively and efficiently
- Support SQA with continuous improvement developments
Successful candidates must:
- Currently be delivering the course (or a closely-related course) in an SQA-approved centre or in an Institution of Further/Higher Education
- Be able to demonstrate a consistently high standard of marking for a minimum of three years (usually at the same level as being applied for, but not exclusively so, as it may on occasion be appropriate to have marked at a higher or lower level)
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge of and expertise in assessment. This is normally demonstrated by having had several years’ successful experience of other relevant appointee work such as marking, verifying, setting and/or examining in the same subject or course
- Be able to communicate confidently, effectively and professionally with their teams, stakeholders and SQA staff both orally and in writing
- Be able to work co-operatively and professionally with other appointees and SQA staff, taking and providing constructive feedback as appropriate
- Have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Vetters
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Vetter contract specification, the Vetter will be measured against the following key performance measures and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance in that year.
1. Complete pre examination procedures as per events calendar
2. Quality Assure assessment items in accordance with SQA policy and instruction
3. Positive engagement with all members of the team and SQA staff
4. Satisfactorily fulfil the KPMs of the Marker role where required