Following centre approval, new centres may request a post-approval development visit free of charge. During these visits your Quality Enhancement Manager (QEM) will be happy to offer advice on any aspect of your centre’s systems and procedures.
Centres offering qualifications in a new verification group for the first time will automatically be offered a post-approval development visit by an External Verifier (EV) approximately six months after gaining approval (but only if you have entered candidates for our qualifications). These visits are free of charge. For further information please contact SQA’s Qualification Approval and Verification Team.
Before applying for approval to offer a specific qualification you can ask for a development visit from one or more of our External Verifiers (EVs). The EV(s) will be able to advise you on the resources you will need and on strategies for assessing qualifications. We make a charge for this service. To find out more or to ask for a development visit please contact SQA’s Qualification Approval and Verification Team.
At all times help and support is only a phone call away. If you need it, you can get advice or guidance from either your QEM or EV outwith the normal quality assurance schedule. Advice is free but if you want us to arrange a development visit to your centre, we will charge you for this service.
For further information about systems development visits please contact your QEM or telephone SQA’s Business Development Team on 0303 333 0330. Enquiries regarding external verification visits should be addressed to SQA’s Qualification Approval and Verification Team.
Systems verification is the process of ensuring that centres maintain adequate internal quality assurance systems, which are sufficiently well documented, and that centres are operating these systems effectively. Systems verification covers five main areas:
- systems: internal quality assurance (staff, organisation structure, support for staff and candidates, monitoring and reviewing all operations), information management, health and safety policy, appeals, equal opportunities, storage facilities for candidate details and confidential material, Data Protection procedures, staff updates and candidate management (induction, guidance and support)
- staff: roles and responsibilities, assessors, verifiers, teachers, lecturers and SQA Co-ordinators
- resources: access to publications for candidates, internally produced material is fit for purpose
- accommodation: training rooms, lecture theatres, laboratories, etc
- equipment: computer, hairdryers, drills, desks, chairs, etc.
Quality assurance through centre visits
Quality Enhancement Managers (QEMs) routinely monitor all approved centres to ensure your compliance with SQA’s quality assurance criteria. During the visit the QEM will sample evidence to ensure that your centre’s systems and procedures continue to comply with our criteria for approval as an SQA centre and for internal verification.
Your QEM may also make a number of recommendations which could enhance the quality of the provision you offer as well as support the development of internal quality assurance within your centre. These visits are free of charge.