SQA e-portfolio Case Studies
E-portfolios provide an electronic environment where centres can introduce more creative approaches to assessment and where learners can store and organise their learning and assessment evidence, in a range of media formats.
We have commissioned three further e-portfolio Case Studies, adding to those already published.
- E-verification of e-portfolios - a JHP e-verification Case Study
- E-portfolio and social networking - a Case Study of Motherwell College
- The use of e-portfolio for assessment and feedback in SQA Graded Unit investigations - a Case Study of Scottish Agricultural College and SAC poster
SQA video Case Studies
The video clips below are excerpts from the DVD, ‘E-assessment: Assessment in the 21st Century’.
This DVD highlights the key principles of our vision for e-assessment. It shows some of the benefits e-assessment can bring and includes contributions from students and staff in school, college and training provider environments.
Please contact the eAssessment and Learning team at SQA if you would like a copy of the full DVD.
- The e-assessment evolution (1:29)
- E-assessment – a natural step forward (1:35)
- E-assessment and learners (1:33)
- E-assessment and teachers (0:56)
- PC Passport (0:55)
- Scottish Progression Award in Craft Skills (0:41)
- Adapting to e-assessment (1:56)
SQA Case Studies
E-assessments have been piloted in various centres throughout Scotland - primary schools, secondary schools and colleges. This piloting has involved a variety of approaches and delivery methods. These Case Studies describe some of these pilots from various perspectives - teachers, Verifiers, Chief Invigilators and learners.
- Case Study - eNABs - Benefits for teaching and learning
- Case Study - Biotechnology on-screen pilot
- Case Study - Intermediate 1 English - Close Reading
- Case Study - 5-14 Mathematics - Money, Number and Measurement, Level D
- Case Study - Intermediate 1 Computing Studies
- Case Study - Higher Mathematics Unit 2 NAB
DeskSpace e-portfolio Case Studies
The DeskSpace e-portfolio is available to all SQA Skills for Work candidates and is currently available to centres free of charge.
Feedback on the system has been very positive and more and more centres are offering this support to their candidates.
The following three Case Studies were carried out in centres that piloted the DeskSpace e-portfolio.
- Glen Urquhart High School (475 KB)
- St George’s School, Edinburgh (531 KB)
- St Luke's High School, East Renfrewshire (162 KB)
DeskSpace multi-media Case Study
In 2010, SQA worked with CCEA in Northern Ireland to produce a Case Study of our practices and experiences in response to the Regulatory Principles for e-Assessment. A multi-media version of this Case Study was produced.
A PDF of the Case Study, featuring the SQA e-portfolio DeskSpace, can be downloaded using the following link: DeskSpace PDF Case Study (116 KB).
Guide to Effective Practice Case Studies
The following four Case Studies on e-Assessment in Northern Ireland schools are from colleagues in The Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) in Northern Ireland, who produced eAssessment; Guide to Effective Practice. The guide already contains case studies from all over the UK, including one SQA initiated from Dumfries and Galloway College.
E-moderation of GCSE coursework (ICT and Home Economics)
Implementing the guidance in eAssessment: Guide to Effective Practice (developing a school e-assessment strategy; allocating roles and responsibilities etc) - tried out in the context of a small-scale online exam.
Documents the school creating an e-test (using 'Articulate' e-testing system) as an alternative to exams (Geography and ICT).
About online assessment for the GCSE/A level in Moving Image Arts - candidates complete their coursework using an e-portfolio and undertake an online exam where they respond to questions related to moving image clips from films.