Welcome to the subject homepage for NPA in Cosmetolgoy.
The NPA in Cosmetology at SCQF level 4 allows candidates the choice of sampling hairdressing, barbering, beauty, and make-up artistry disciplines while gaining a recognised qualification which meets the needs of the Hair and Beauty industries.
The NPA is intended for candidates who want to develop their knowledge and skills to prepare for a career in the sector.
This NPA is widely available in schools and colleges.
Why deliver this qualification
One of the major attractions of the NPA in Cosmetology is that it can be tailored to meet local needs. The award can be offered full-time, part-time, block-release, day release, evening or in an appropriate combination. Combined delivery may enable candidates to complete the award within a shorter time period. Centres wishing to provide a full time programme might include all mandatory and optional Units in the framework.
The structure of the qualification allows for a high degree of flexibility in its delivery, giving candidates bite-sized chunks of learning covering the vocational areas of cosmetology.
The NPA in Cosmetology is a flexible and credible introduction to the subject, potentially leading to further study or full employment.
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification suits a wide range of candidates.
Although many schools get involved, NPAs are mainly used by colleges for short study programmes, such as return-to-work courses or part-time learning for those already in work.
The NPA in Cosmetology offers the skills required by industry and real work experience:
- Candidates will be in a better position for a career in the sector.
- It provides progression opportunities to further study.
- Achievement is nationally recognised and certificated.
While access is at the discretion of the centre, this NPA is designed to encourage open access to all candidates as far as possible.
This NPA in Cosmetology has been designed as a progression route to the full range of SVQs or the National Certificates available in the chosen subject areas of Hairdressing, Beauty, Make Up Artistry, and Barbering.
Centres with devolved authority would be eligible to seek approval through their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact the Business Development Team for guidance in completing the combined CA1/SA1 form.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
NPA Cosmetology at SCQF level 4 (50 KB)
Assessment Support Packs
The following Assessment Support Packs (ASPs) are available to download from SQAs secure site:
- Cosmetology: Product Awareness F0F6 10 (ASP 001)
- Cosmetology: Career Options and Choices F0F8 10 (ASP 001)
- Cosmetology: Health and Safety F0FD 10 (ASP 001)
- Cosmetology: Prepare and Assist in a Workplace Environment F0F9 10 (ASP 001)
- Working with Customers and Colleagues DJ3W 10 (ASP 001)
- Cosmetology: Hairdressing Practical Skills F0FA 10 (ASP 001)
- Cosmetology: Beauty Practical Skills F0FE 10 (ASP 001)
- Cosmetology: Make-Up Artistry Practical Skills F0FB 10 (ASP 001)
- Cosmetology: Barbering Practical Skills F0F7 10 (ASP 001)
Group Award Code: G8GX 44 (24 SCQF credit points)
SCQF level: 4
Five Mandatory Units:
- Working with Customers and Colleagues DJ3W 10 (6 SCQF credit points)
- Cosmetology: Product Awareness F0F6 10 (3 SCQF credit points)
- Cosmetology: Career Options and Choices F0F8 10 (3 SCQF credit points)
- Cosmetology: Health and Safety F0FD 10 (3 SCQF credit points)
- Cosmetology: Prepare and Assist in a Workplace Environment F0F9 10 (3 SCQF credit points)
One Options Unit totaling 6 SCQF credit points:
- Cosmetology: Barbering Practical Skills F0F7 10
- Cosmetology: Hairdressing Practical Skills F0FA 10
- Cosmetology: Beauty Practical Skills F0FE 10
- Cosmetology: Make Up Artistry Practical Skills F0FB 10
Each optional Unit carries 6 SCQF credit points.
Internal Assessment Report
Internal Assessment Report 2008 (48 KB)
How to assess
Assessments are carried out towards the end of the Units when candidates have had the benefit of practice and support. Assessments are practical in nature, reflecting the practical emphasis of the Units, testing the expertise in each of the subject areas.
Any other information
All Units would require a practical salon facility as the main focus of each Unit is to give candidates an opportunity to practise the skills required for employment, or further study within their chosen area.
Offer this qualification