HNC Civil Engineering candidate information
The HNC Civil Engineering will prepare you for employment as an Engineering Technician in the civil engineering industry, designing, managing, maintaining or adapting infrastructure (such as bridges, railways, roads, and water and sewerage installations) or buildings. The HNC will also enable you to develop study, research, analysis, planning, organisational and review/evaluation skills.
Employment and progression opportunities
The HNC will be a suitable qualification for a job with:
- developers, contractors, designers and prefabricators for industrial commercial and housing developments
- consulting civil engineers, civil engineering contractors and the owners or managers of infrastructure components
- consulting structural engineers, contractors and the owners or managers of industrial and commercial buildings
Completing the HNC will allow you to progress to HND. Advanced entry to degree programmes is possible, though this depends on the university — some will admit HNC holders to the first year.
The HNC will also enable you to achieve professional body recognition, in particular but not exclusively, from the Institution of Civil Engineers.
As with all SQA qualifications, access to the awards will be at the discretion of the centre. The following recommendations are for guidance only.
- an HN qualification, National Certificate or Modern Apprenticeship in a related discipline
- at least one Higher, with supporting Standard Grade Credit passes in appropriate subjects, including Mathematics and Science and/or Technology
- an SVQ in Civil Engineering or a related discipline
- a craft qualification combined with appropriate further study, prior to, or in parallel with, the HNC programme
Other entry qualifications are also possible, if you can demonstrate a realistic chance of success.
You may be accepted if you have relevant work experience, and you may be granted Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) for any underpinning knowledge or skills you have developed in relevant employment.