HNC Agriculture candidate information
The HNC Agriculture develops practical and Core Skills, and builds your competence and understanding in the areas of applied science and technology, business management, economic policy and the environment.
Some of these will be studied in both a national and global context and the emphasis throughout is on agriculture as a multifunctional industry.
You will gain skills and knowledge in crop production, animal production and mechanisation in an integrative manner and to develop the ability to complete and maintain appropriate records and documents. You will also be made aware of relevant health and safety, animal welfare and environmental issues.
Employment and progression opportunities
Candidates successfully achieving the HNC award may gain employment as:
- Farmer (self employed)
- Experimental Assistant
- Animal Welfare Officer (SSPCA)
- Dairy Herdsperson
- Salesperson (machinery, feeds, seeds)
- Pig Person
- Store person
- Head Herdsperson
- Livestock Procurement Officer
- Arable Foreman
- Quality Controller (meats)
- Field Trials Assistant.
Achieving the HNC Agriculture will give you the opportunity to progress to the HND Agriculture.
Access to the award is at the discretion of the centre. As with all SQA qualifications, open access is encouraged, but examples of appropriate formal entry qualifications include:
- Two SQA Higher level courses (Grade C or above) together with three SQA Standard Grade passes (band 3 or above) and evidence of Numeracy and Communication Core Skills at SCQF level 5.
- An appropriate group of National Units at SCQF level 5 and/or 6.
- Appropriate vocational qualification for example S/NVQ at level 3 (modern apprenticeship) in Agriculture.
- Other combinations of National Qualifications, Vocational Qualifications and qualifications from other awarding bodies may be acceptable.
It is also recommended that you have achieved the Core Skill of Numeracy at SCQF Level 5 and the Core Skills of Communication, Information Technology, Working with Others and Problem Solving at SCQF Level 4.