HND Contemporary Dance Performance candidate information
The HND Contemporary Dance Performance will allow you to:
- undertake a highly practical and intensive training — the core will focus on classical ballet and contemporary dance techniques, with an emphasis in Cunningham-based and release-based techniques
- improve and extend your technical ability, performance skills and experience through performance opportunities
- develop skills in the creative processes of choreography
- develop skills in contemporary dance performance, realising your potential to allow you to present yourself as a dancer/choreographer to the profession
- prepare for auditions for professional contracts
You will also be able to develop analytical, evaluative and problem solving skills, investigation and research skills and innovative approaches to work.
Employment and progression opportunities
On completion of the award you could expect to gain employment as a freelance dancer or choreographer, or you may seek employment in a range of posts including Dance Worker, Dance Artist, Dance Development Worker, or in promotional, administrative and related posts.
The HND has close links with Scottish Dance Theatre (Scotland’s national contemporary company, based in Dundee). Students have been employed as apprentices by this company and other UK employers of high repute.
You could progress from the HND to BA Hons at The Scottish School of Contemporary Dance, or other institutions.
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre, but examples of formal entry qualifications include:
- a relevant SQA National Qualification programme including technique-based Units and compositional/choreographic Units at a minimum of SCQF level 6, or equivalent qualifications
- previous dance experience, which must include ballet
- The Royal Academy of Dancing Syllabus: Intermediate
- The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing Syllabus: Intermediate
- other appropriate examining board of dance training
- classes at private dance school or dance teacher or other institution, achieving standards equivalent to those listed above
A prospective centre might wish confirm your practical skills and potential through an audition and interview, as formal academic achievements in themselves may not be sufficient to establish this.