HND Biotechnology Candidate Information
The HND Biotechnology will prepare the for employment in science areas such as research and industrial laboratories; biotechnology, chemical, microbiological, pharmaceutical, and environmental industries. You will also develop a range of contemporary vocational skills in the use, support and development of systems appropriate to employment at technician or professional level. You will also develop study and research, study, planning and analysis skills.
Employment and Progression Opportunities
Typical job opportunities include posts in:
- Industrial research and development laboratories
- Quality assurance laboratories
- College, university and research institute laboratories and local authority laboratories.
- Supervision and control of production processes in a wide range of industrial sectors including: chemical; bio-medical; pharmaceutical; food processing; textiles; bio-technology; and soft drinks, brewing and distilling.
- The health care industry offers a wide range of technician posts including (following further training): Perfusionist; Phlebotomist; Cytoscreener; Immunology Research Technician; Biotechnology Research Technician; Forensic Science Technician.
The HND provides entry into Year 2, possibly Year 3, of degree programmes throughout Scotland. You should check with your centre for available routes.
As with all SQA qualifications, access to the award is at the discretion of the centre. The following entry requirements are given as guidelines only:
- One Science Higher and not fewer than three Standard Grade 3 passes, including Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology or Human Biology and Mathematics.
- National Qualification in an appropriate Science and Maths programme, such as Access to Science. Candidates should preferably possess some Units at Higher level.
- Qualifications comparable to the above, gained through other awarding bodies, such as GCSE, City and Guilds, Edexcel.