HND Green Technology candidate information
The HND Green Technology has been designed for this emerging sector as governments and industries work to address climate change. It will provide you with technical and scientific knowledge, understanding and skills in the development and use of sustainable technologies and renewable resources in rural areas.
You will have the opportunity to develop:
- a wide range of practical, laboratory, scientific and technical skills and an awareness of safe working practices, health and safety issues and business management
- a deeper underpinning knowledge and understanding of the physical and biological sciences
- knowledge and understanding of the application of physical and biological sciences to the development and use of sustainable technologies and renewable resources in rural areas
- knowledge and understanding of the environmental issues, economic considerations and regulatory factors that influence the development and use of sustainable technologies and
- renewable resources in rural areas
- an opportunity to specialise in an area such as renewable energy generation, environmental building technologies, plant breeding, crop production and biotechnology
You will also be able to develop your study, research planning, development, synthesis and evaluation skills.
Employment and progression opportunities
The HND Green Technology may allow opportunities for you to enter employment pathways, potentially leading to positions such as: Energy Audit Officer, Waste Audit Officer, Waste Management Technician, Environmental Project Officer, Community Liaison Officer (eg for a utility company), Technical Representative (for a renewable energy company), Crop Trials Technician.
The HND Green Technology is designed to articulate with Year 3 of BSc Green Technology. This route might allow you to enter jobs at a higher level, and may also open up a much wider range of possible career pathways, such as: Energy Development Officer, Environmental Consultant, Environmental Technology Project Manager, Waste Management Officer, Specialised Crops Trials Manager, Plant Product Development Researcher, Carbon Management Consultant, Carbon Logistics Specialist, Energy Account Manager.
There may be routes to other related degree courses. You should check entry requirements with the appropriate university admissions departments at an early stage of your HND studies.
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre. Examples of formal entry qualifications include:
- Two Highers or 1 ‘A’ level pass to include a science subject, plus
- Either: English and Mathematics at Standard Grade/GCSE pass level or equivalent
- Or: A National Certificate Group Award or other qualification at SCQF level 5/6 in a related subject area, such as Life Science, Applied Science, Biological Science, Science, Biotechnology, Science and Technology or Agriculture.