As set out by the Scottish Government’s Renewables Action Plan, Scotland is committed to achieving a target of 20% of total Scottish energy use coming from renewable sources by the year 2020.
Micro renewables are small scale, environmentally-friendly methods of producing heat and power in domestic settings utilising technologies such as solar panels, small scale wind turbines and heat pumps.
SummitSkills, the Sector Skills Council for the building services engineering sector has identified that to meet Government targets around 25,000 installations in Scotland will be required every year.
About the Awards
SQA has devised two Awards based on National Occupational Standards, aimed at professionals who will install, service and maintain the systems.
- GG18 46 (SCQF level 6)
- Certificate in Environmental Technology Systems (Installation)
- GG17 46 (SCQF level 6)
- Certificate in Environmental Technology Systems (Installation, Service & Maintenance)
The training and assessment involves working with domestic or small industrial systems (listed below) in a new build or retro fitted systems on to an existing building.
- Solar Thermal Hot Water Units
- Heat Pump Units
- Solar Photovoltaic Systems
The Awards are jointly certificated by SQA and the three trade organisations SELECT, SNIPEF, HVCA.
If you are an approved SQA centre, contact your regional Business Development Manager or Consultant for more information. To find out more about the new awards or about becoming an SQA approved centre contact our Business Development Team — T: 0303 333 0330 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assessment Guidance and Unit Specifications
- Assessment Guidance for the Certificate in Environmental Technology Systems (244 KB)
- Unit Specification: Inspect, Service and Maintain Heat Pump Systems (83 KB)
- Unit Specification: Working Principle, Installation Options and Regulatory Requirements for Micro-Renewable Technologies, Water Harvesting and Recycling Technologies (71 KB)
- Unit Specification: Install, Test, Commission and Handover Solar Thermal Hot Water Systems (103 KB)
- Unit Specification: Install, Test, Commission and Handover Solar Photovoltaic (99 KB)
- Unit Specification: Install, Test, Commission and Handover Heat Pump Systems (117 KB)
- Unit Specification: Inspect, Service and Maintain Solar Thermal Hot Water Systems (79 KB)
- Unit Specification: Inspect, Service and Maintain Solar Photovoltaic Systems (79 KB)