HNC Marketing candidate information
The revised HNC Marketing is designed to equip you to start a career in marketing or progress to degree/professional qualifications in marketing or marketing related areas. It will enable you to develop the skills to enter introductory/junior level roles in private and public organisations, where there are job opportunities in both in-house departments and specialist marketing, market research, selling and promotion agencies.
You will develop knowledge and skills in marketing theory and buyer behaviour as well as in the main operational areas such as marketing research, digital marketing communications, promotion and selling.
You will also develop your research, analysis and planning skills.
Employment and progression opportunities
Achievement of the HNC Marketing, you may be able to to gain employment at an introductory / junior level in: Marketing, Sales Administration, Market Research, Public Relations, Selling, Direct Marketing, Advertising, and Events Management in both in-house departments and specialist agencies across the private and public sectors.
There are routes from HNC and HND in Marketing variously into 2nd and 3rd year of degree programmes. Whilst the range of degree courses on offer can change from year to year, entry usually depends on a satisfactory UCAS reference and the grade received for the Graded Units. Typical relevant degree courses include:
- BA in Marketing Management from Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh
- BA in Marketing (plus other combinations) from Strathclyde University, Glasgow
- BA in Marketing; BA in Media and Communications; and BA in International Retail Management from Glasgow Caledonian University
- BA in International Marketing (plus other combinations) from West of Scotland University, Paisley
- BA in Management with Marketing from Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen
- Range of combined degrees, eg in Marketing; Business Studies; Advertising; and Communications from University of Ulster
Furthermore, you could also progress to professional qualifications. The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) has four main qualifications:
- The Introductory Certificate in Marketing
- The Professional Certificate in Marketing
- The Professional Diploma in Marketing
- The Professional Post-Graduate Diploma in Marketing
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre. Examples of formal entry qualifications include:
- appropriate groupings of National Units, for example those focussing on advertising and PR, media studies or creative technology
- any two National Qualifications at Higher level (preferably including English) together with three Standard Grade passes at 3 or above
- an SVQ at level 2 or 3 in a relevant area
- different combinations of relevant National Qualifications, Vocational Qualifications and equivalent qualifications from other awarding bodies may also be acceptable
- relevant work experience (which could be established through a written application or one-to-one interview etc)
- for candidates where English is not their first language it is recommended that they possess English for Speakers of other Languages (ESOL) level 5 or a score of at least 5.5 in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)