HND Petroleum Engineering candidate information
The HND Petroleum Engineering has been designed to provide you with a broad-based, multi-disciplinary, petroleum exploration, production and environmental qualification which will allow you to progress to higher education and to advance your career.
You will develop a variety of knowledge and skills including:
- Physical and chemical aspects of petroleum engineering
- An introduction to petroleum geology and geophysics
- Petroleum reservoir engineering
- Oilfield drilling operations
- Petroleum recovery techniques and production processes
You will also be able to develop your planning, analysis and evaluation skills.
Employment and progression opportunities
With the HND, you may be able to gain employment as a trainee production engineer assistant or a trainee process engineer operator in the production area.
It may be possible to progress to degree courses in: Geoservices, Petroleum Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering: Oil and Gas. You should liaise directly with your centre or the HE establishment about this.
As with all SQA qualifications, entry is at the discretion of the centre. Examples of formal entry qualifications include:
- One National Course at SCQF level 6 in a relevant subject, preferably Mathematics or Physics or Chemistry, plus four Standard Grades at Credit level or National Courses at Intermediate 2 at grade ‘C’ or above.
- A programme of National Units in a suitable subject area eg Engineering or Science at SCQF level 5 and 6.
- Awards from other awarding bodies, provided that the competences can be identified and matched to the above, including SVQ/NVQs in an appropriate occupational area.
If you do not have formal entry qualifications, you may be considered for entry if you have relevant work experience in petroleum engineering or its related industries. Work experience used as evidence for entry should be current, and you may be asked to provide evidence.