HNC Printing candidate information
The HNC provides you with the knowledge and skills you will need if you intend to make a career in the printing and related industries. It also offers you the opportunity to specialise in Print administration, Bookbinding and Lithographic printing.
The main topics of study include: printing production processes; digital workflows; offset lithographic printing; print finishing processes; fine bookbinding; quality management systems; information technology and desktop publishing; printing industry estimating, costing and financial management; computerised management information systems.
You will also have opportunities to develop your skills in: organising, communicating, information collection and research, logical and analytical thinking, decision making, problem solving, co-operating with others (teamworking), and vocational adaptability.
Employment and progression opportunities
Having completed the HNC in Printing you could seek employment as a printing operative, bookbinding specialist, or print administrator.
You could progress from the HNC Printing to the HND Printing.
While entry will be at the discretion of the centre, it will be beneficial if you have some previous experience of printing or a related area. This could be evidenced by one or a combination of the following:
- A locally-devised National Certificate in printing, screen printing, graphics or equivalent or equivalent qualification at SCQF level 5 or 6
- Work experience in the printing industry or a related industry
- NVQ/SVQ in Printing or a related area at level 3
- Two Highers at C or above
- English for Speakers of Other Languages at an appropriate level (if English is not your first language)
Equivalent qualifications from other countries may be acceptable for entry, provided the competences can be identified and are appropriate.