National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery
The National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery Course further enhances learners’ personal effectiveness in cookery and provides a set of skills for those who wish to progress to further study in the hospitality context.
Updates and announcements
Understanding Standards events for Hospitality: Practical Cookery now cancelled
The Understanding Standards events for National 4 and National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery have now been cancelled. Delegates who booked places at the events have been notified.
Candidate evidence and commentary materials produced for the events will be published online for you to access and we will provide further details when these are available.
Hospitality: Practical Cookery webinars
We are running online webinars for Hospitality: Practical Cookery on the following dates:
- 24 November 2016 (16:30 - 17:30): National 5 Practical Activity
- 14 December 2016 (16:30 - 17:30): Preparing for verification events (combined webinar with Hospitality: Practical Cake Craft and Health and Food Technology)
- 2 February 2017 (16:30 - 17:30): Preparing for visiting verification
To book on to these webinars, please use our online events booking system.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
- Hospitality Practical Cookery Course Report 2014
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Message July 2014
- Hospitality: Practical Cookery: Quality Assurance - external verification
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages
- 2015 National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery Course Report
- Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages Round 1
- Hospitality Practical Cookery Verification Key Messages Round 2
- 2016 National 5 Hospitality: Practical Cookery Course Report