National 5 Economics
The National 5 Economics Course builds on the knowledge, understanding and skills gained in National 4 Business and can act as an introduction to economics.
By looking at governments, businesses and global trade and their economic contexts, learners develop understanding of the economic environment in which we live by understanding economic concepts set in real-life contexts.
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (353 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (238 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (302 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 5 - Higher) (96 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (206 KB)
- January 2015 subject update (Advanced Higher) (463 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (224 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
- N5 Economics Course Assessment Specification
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
- National 5 Economics Course and Unit Support Notes
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- General assessment information for National 5 Economics
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
There was no Round 1 verification activity at this level in 2016.
- 2014 National 5 Economics Course Report
- 2015 National 5 Economics Course Report
- 2016 National 5 Economics Course Report
- Economics Verification Key Messages