Our National Qualifications in ESOL develop the skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking in learners whose first language is not English, so that they can understand and use English. These Courses develop learners’ language skills, so that they can apply knowledge of language in practical and relevant contexts.
Available at the following levels:
ESOL common questions
- ESOL common questions (73 KB)
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (177 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (National 3 - Higher) (225 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (152 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 - Higher) (158 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (131 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (336 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter (177 KB)
Changes to assessment in National Courses
Following the Deputy First Minister’s announcement that units and unit assessments will be removed from National 5 to Advanced Higher courses, we are strengthening the course assessment to ensure it covers the full content of the course.
Units and unit assessments will be removed as followed:
- National 5 from 2017–18
- Higher from 2018–19
- Advanced Higher from 2019–20
Information for teachers has been posted on the National 5 ESOL subject page.