Higher Art and Design
The Higher Art and Design Course enables learners to communicate personal thoughts, feelings and ideas through the creative use of art and design materials, techniques and/or technology.
Learners analyse a range of art and design practice and critically reflect on the impact of external factors on artists, designers and their work. They plan, develop, produce and present creative art and design work, develop personal creativity, and use problem solving, critical thinking and reflective practice skills.
Updates and announcements
New template for National 5 and Higher portfolio evaluations
We have produced new evaluation templates for candidates to complete and submit with their Design and Expressive portfolios. The use of these templates is optional for session 2016-17, however it will be a requirement from session 2017-18 onwards.
Many National 5 and Higher candidates have been submitting lengthy evaluations which include narrative descriptions of their work and the decisions that they took. However, marks are not awarded for this information; marks are only awarded for evaluative points that relate directly to the published marking instructions. To focus candidates' responses, the template provides instructions and also has a limited space for them to type their evaluation. This is intended to encourage candidates to spend a proportionate amount of time on the evaluation, allowing them more time to work on their practical pieces.
You can access the portfolio evaluation templates from the 'Submitting Coursework' tab below.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
- Higher Art and Design Course Assessment Specification session 2015/2016
- Higher Art and Design Course Assessment Specification session 2016/2017
- Higher Art and Design Course Assessment Specification session 2016/2017 comparison
The comparison document illustrates the additional information provided in the updated version compared with the previous version.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen and Exemplar Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
- Higher Art and Design Specimen Question Paper
- Higher Art and Design Exemplar Question Paper Guidance
- Higher Art and Design Exemplar Question Paper
- Higher Art and Design Specimen Question Paper
- Higher Art and Design Question Paper Brief
From 2015 onwards, questions in the Higher Art and Design question paper will be numbered sequentially throughout, as shown in the Exemplar Question Paper. The Specimen Question Paper will be updated to reflect this in due course.
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- General assessment information for Higher Art and Design
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Art and Design portfolio evaluations
We have produced an evaluation templates for candidates to complete and submit with their Design and Expressive portfolios in National 5 and Higher courses. The use of these templates is optional for session 2016-17.
- Instructions for National 5 and Higher Art and Design portfolio submission
- Higher Art and Design portfolio evaluation template: Design (70 KB)
- Higher Art and Design portfolio evaluation template: Expressive (70 KB)
More information on the submission of Art and Design portfolios can be found on our Art and Design Practical Assessment web page
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.