NPA Business with Information Technology
The National Progression Award (NPA) in Business with Information Technology at SCQF level 6 provides candidates with the fundamental business and information technology skills that they will need for employment and/or further study.
This NPA will develop candidates’ problem solving and information technology skills and enable them to be more confident in the use of software application packages for administrative and business purposes. It will also develop an awareness of issues facing organisations today.
This qualification is available through schools and colleges.
Why deliver this qualification
The NPA in Business with Information Technology at SCQF level 6 can be used to develop knowledge and understanding of specialist business areas such as marketing, customer care, economics, accounting and law.
The NPA could be offered in one of the following modes:
- full-time (eg as a fast-track into full a NC or HN programme)
- part-time (eg day-release)
- open and distance learning
- infill into existing classes
- evening provision
Who does this qualification suit
The NPA meets the needs of a wide client group because it develops a fundamental knowledge of business as well as relevant IT skills. For example:
- candidates who are at school or who may have just left school
- mature candidates who may have been out of education for a long period of time
- candidates who are currently in employment and wish to obtain a formal qualification
- candidates who are looking to access HN programmes
- employers who wish their employees to obtain short continuing professional development courses
Entry is at the discretion of the centre. However, it is recommended for candidates entering the level 6 award to have completed some ICT skills training at level 5. This may be through the achievement of relevant National Units or employment experience or completion of the NPA Business with IT at SCQF level 5.
The level 6 award could provide progression onto suitable HN Business or Administration and IT programmes — or appropriate Advanced Highers (eg Business Management and Administration).
Centres with devolved authority are eligible to seek approval through their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact the Business Development Team for guidance in completing the combined CA1/SA1 form.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA's general requirements as outlined in the guide to approval.
How to assess
Assessment of this award will be a combination of practical and knowledge assessments under closed- and open-book assessment conditions. It is recommended that centres refer to the assessment and Evidence Requirements for each Unit.
The delivery of the award is at the individual centre’s discretion. The award will be delivered over a 160 hour period which could be a mix of day time, evening or distance learning. It would be beneficial if centres delivered the mandatory Unit Business Enterprise before delivering the specialist business Unit in option Group A.
Assessment Support Packs are available for this qualification.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group Award code: G9WW 46 (24 SCQF credit points)
SCQF level: 6
The NPA Business with Information Technology at SCQF level 6 consists of one mandatory Unit (6 SCQF credit points) plus one Unit from Group A (6 SCQF credit points) and either one or two Units from Group B (12 SCQF credit points).
(NB: if Information Technology for Management is chosen as an option, this covers the 12 SCQF credit points required in Group B.)
- Business Enterprise — DV4G 12
- Business Decision Areas: Marketing and Operations — DV4K 12
- Business Decision Areas: Finance and Human Resource Management — DV4L 12
- Marketing Research Practice — D0XS 12
- Scottish Legal Framework — D32B 12
- Financial Accounting: An Introduction — F394 12
- Management Accounting: An Introduction — F395 12
- Information Technology for Management — DM3V 12 (12 SCQF credit points)
- PC Passport: Working with IT Software — Word Processing and Presenting Information — F1FE 12
- PC Passport: Working with IT Software — Spreadsheets and Database — F1FJ 12
- IT in Business: Word processing, Spreadsheets, and Databases: An Introduction — FG69 33
Offer this qualification