The way qualifications are regulated in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is changing, which includes the removal and replacement of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF). Please see our FAQs document contained here.
SQA are experts in developing relevant qualifications delivering the real skills, knowledge and progression routes in demand by employers and learners alike.
We offer a comprehensive portfolio of competence and knowledge based Construction qualifications.
Our portfolio includes:
- Construction Awards, Certificates and Diplomas at QCF Levels 2 and 3
- Streetworks Assessment and Re-Assessment qualifications
Functional Skills qualifications provide learners with the practical skills required in everyday life, education and the workplace. We no longer offer Functional Skills directly but through a strategic partnership with a leading awarding body. Please contact us for further guidance on 0303 333 0330
PLTS comprise of six groups of skills that an apprentice needs to achieve:
- independent enquiry
- creative thinking
- reflective learning
- team working
- effective participation
Each of the PLTS has been mapped to the QCF Construction Units as these need to be formally assessed. The PLTS mapping document and Evidence Sheet for recording achievement can be found on the QCF Construction page of SQA's Secure website.
Training and Assessment Programmes (TAP's)
For the majority of our knowledge awards instruments of assessment are available in the form of Training and Assessment Programmes (TAPs). These provide guidance on content, context, evidence required, marking guidelines, drawings and checklists with clearly stated standards and tolerance's These are available from your centre's SQA co-ordinator. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exemplar TAP (471 KB)
Other related non-regulated qualifications offered by SQA
SQA offers a complete suite of Street Works qualifications for operatives and supervisors working on the roads/highways.
The non-regulated Street Works qualifications meet the requirements of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSW) which requires work involving the installation, renewal, maintenance and inspection of underground apparatus in the highway to be under the control of competent persons who are in possession of a valid Street Works card. Qualifications are delivered through SQA approved Centres.
Many construction contractors and clients insist that all workers on site hold a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card to prove competence in their stated occupation and to show that they have relevant health and safety awareness. The CSCS cards for construction workers are based on their job, experience and qualifications, or membership of a professional body.
CSCS cards can be obtained through completion of construction-based Apprenticeship frameworks, by applicants providing copies of their fully indentured Apprenticeship papers gained through the provider of the Apprenticeship programme.
Please click on the links below to take you to specific QCF construction pages.
- Built Environment Design
- Construction Contracting Operations
- Construction Contracting Operations Management
- Construction Design and Management
- Controlling Lifting Operations
- Controlling Lifting Operations – Slinger/Signaller (Construction)
- Construction Operations
- Construction Site Management
- Construction Site Supervision
- Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations
- Energy Efficiency Measures for Older and Traditional Buildings
- Floorcovering Occupations
- Health and Safety in a Construction Environment
- Highways Maintenance
- Occupational Work Supervision
- Plant Operations
- Plant Operations (Construction)
- Sustainable Construction
- Thermal Insulation (Construction)
- Thermal Insulation
- Winter Services
- Working in High Risk Confined Spaces
- Working in Low Risk Confined Spaces
- Working in Medium Risk Confined Spaces