Team Leader (Scottish Baccalaureate)
A Team Leader is responsible for supporting the Principal Verifier in maintaining national standards for the Baccalaureate within their remit by ensuring that all tasks associated with the quality assurance of internally assessed Units and components of Course assessments are carried out within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to manage their team members, in the delivery of external quality assurance for qualifications in the subject area(s) concerned, to ensure that national standards are being consistently applied and maintained.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Verifier and staff from SQA’s Qualification Development directorate as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Support the quality assurance processes in accordance with SQA policy and specification.
- Provide leadership and support to a team of subject specialists involved in external quality assurance events as required.
- Support and quality assure the work of the team as required.
- Quality assure verification reports produced by the subject specialists in the team as required.
- Provide summary quality assurance report of own team activity.
- Support the Principal Verifier at external quality assurance events where required, ensuring all procedures are conducted in line with SQA requirements.
- Undertake the External Verifier role.
- Support SQA with continuous improvement developments
- Team Leaders may be asked to undertake additional activities. These activities will attract additional payment and could include the following:
- undertake development visits to centres as required
- undertake follow up quality assurance activity to resolve outstanding issues
- undertake in-service training
- participate in workshops/seminars/networking events
Successful candidates must:
- Currently be delivering a Course in the subject area at one or more levels (or a closely-related Course)
- Have an in-depth understanding of national standards across the course/level in the subject area
- Be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of their team, providing leadership and support as required
- Be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively; work professionally and co-operatively, with stakeholders, other appointees and SQA staff
- Be able to demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide attention to detail
- Have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Team Leaders
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Team Leader contract specification, the Team Leader will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Monitor performance of members of the team to meet SQA requirements.
- Ensure consistency of decisions made by members of the team.
- Ensure reports generated meet quality standard and are within conditions and timescales set by SQA.
- Positive engagement with all members of the team (through leadership of people) and with members of SQA staff.
- Fulfil the KPMs of the External Verifier.