Advanced Higher Health and Food Technology
The Advanced Higher Health and Food Technology Course addresses contemporary issues affecting food and nutrition and how they affect consumer choices. These include: ethical and moral considerations, legislation, sustainability, psychology of food trends, and food production and development. Through research, learners will apply their knowledge and understanding of the relationships between nutrition, food and health, and develop detailed knowledge and understanding of the science and sensory testing of food.
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (329 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (221 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (289 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 - Higher) (100 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (139 KB)
- January 2015 subject update (Advanced Higher) (471 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (367 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter (177 KB)
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
- Guidance on the use of past paper questions for Advanced Higher Health and Food Technology
- Advanced Higher Health and Food Technology Specimen Question Paper
- Advanced Higher Health and Food Technology Exemplar Question Paper
- Advanced Higher Health and Food Technology Exemplar Question Paper Guidance
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.
Verification and Course Reports
There was no verification activity at this level in 2016.
- Health and Food Technology Verification Key Messages
- 2016 Advanced Higher Health and Food Technology Course Report