Advanced Higher Mathematics
The Advanced Higher Mathematics Course enables learners to select and apply complex mathematical techniques in a variety of mathematical situations. Learners interpret, analyse, communicate and manage information in mathematical form, while exploring more advanced techniques.
Updates and announcements
- May 2016 subject update (229 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (351 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 to Higher) (173 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (199 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (415 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (336 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
Changes to Advanced Higher Mathematics Understanding Standards events
The Advanced Higher events that were scheduled to take place in Inverness and Aberdeen have been cancelled. The events will now take place in Glasgow and Edinburgh only.
Delegates who booked places at the Inverness or Aberdeen events will be notified and offered a place at the events in Glasgow or Edinburgh instead.
For more information and to book your place, visit www.sqa.org.uk/nqevents.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
- Advanced Higher Mathematics Course Assessment Specification session 2015/2016
- Advanced Higher Mathematics Course Assessment Specification session 2016/2017
- Advanced Higher Mathematics Course Assessment Specification session 2016/2017 comparison
The comparison document illustrates the additional information provided in the updated version compared with the previous version.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen and Exemplar Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
- Question Paper Brief Advanced Higher Mathematics
- Guidance on the use of past paper questions for Advanced Higher Mathematics
- Advanced Higher Mathematics Specimen Question Paper
- Advanced Higher Mathematics Exemplar Question Paper
- Advanced Higher Mathematics Exemplar Question Paper Guidance
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.