Higher Gaelic (Learners)
The Higher Gaelic (Learners) Course develops the skills of reading, listening, talking and writing in order to understand and use Gaelic.
Learners read, listen, talk and write in Gaelic, understand and use Gaelic, and apply knowledge and understanding of Gaelic. Learners also understand and evaluate Gaelic literary texts, and develop the language skills of translation.
Updates and announcements
- May 2016 subject update (National 3 - Advanced Higher) (131 KB)
- March 2016 National 1 and National 2 update (141 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (139 KB)
- August 2015 National 2 to Higher update (30 KB)
- May 2015 National 3 to Advanced Higher update (129 KB)
- January 2015 Advanced Higher update (159 KB)
- September 2014 National 1 and National 2 update (375 KB)
- September 2014 National 3 to Higher update (167 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 National 1 and National 2 update
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
Course Assessment Specification
This explains the structure of the Course assessment; including the type and method of assessment. It also includes information on Course coverage.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
The following document contains the Course Support Notes and the Unit Support Notes for this Course. They can be printed together or separately.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Specimen Question Papers and Marking Instructions
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
- Higher Gaelic (Learners) Reading Specimen Question Paper
- Higher Gaelic (Learners) Directed Writing Specimen Question Paper
- Higher Gaelic (Learners): Listening (Recording) Specimen Question Paper
- Higher Gaelic (Learners) Listening and Literature Specimen Question Paper
General assessment information provides instructions for the conduct of coursework, an overview of the assessment task, evidence to be gathered and general marking instructions.
Coursework assessment tasks provide the live assessment task, including marking instructions and instructions for candidates. Teachers/lecturers can access these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.