National 3 Computing Science
This Course is valid from August 2013.
The National 3 Computing Science Course develops learners’ knowledge of the technological world and their skills in developing computer-based solutions to problems. Learners develop knowledge and understanding of basic facts and ideas in computing science, and develop and apply skills and knowledge in software and application-based development tools to implement simple digital solutions.
Updates and announcements
- October 2016 subject update (286 KB)
- May 2016 subject update (212 KB)
- October 2015 subject update (320 KB)
- August 2015 subject update (National 3 - National 4 - National 5 - Higher) (129 KB)
- May 2015 subject update (199 KB)
- January 2015 subject update - Advanced Higher (484 KB)
- September 2014 subject update (396 KB)
- Special Edition Update June 2014 (152 KB)
- September 2013 update letter
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
These provide an outline of what each Unit will cover within the Course and detail the Outcomes and Assessment Standards.
Advice and guidance
Course and Unit Support Notes
These provide advice and guidance for teachers/lecturers on learning, teaching and assessment within the Course and its Units.
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Unit Assessment Support
These documents contain details of Unit assessment task(s), show approaches to gathering evidence and how the evidence can be judged against the Outcomes and Assessment Standards. Teachers/lecturers can arrange access to these confidential documents through their SQA Co-ordinator.
Understanding Standards materials
We are publishing examples of candidate evidence with commentaries as part of our Understanding Standards programme. These materials are for teachers and lecturers to help them develop their understanding of the standards required for assessment. As these materials become available, they are being published in the following locations:
- Available from our secure website Materials relating to Unit assessment, internally assessed components of Course assessment, and externally assessed components of Course assessment which are subject to visiting assessment. Teachers and lecturers can arrange access to these materials through their SQA Co-ordinator.
- Available from our Understanding Standards website Materials relating to externally assessed components of Course assessment, with the exception of those subject to visiting assessment.
More information on our Understanding Standards programme, can be found on our Understanding Standards page.