A Principal Verifier is responsible for communicating and maintaining national standards for the qualifications within their remit. Additionally, the Principal Verifier must ensure that all tasks associated with the quality assurance of internally assessed Units and components of Course assessments within their remit are carried out within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to manage team members, in the delivery of external quality assurance for qualifications in the subject area(s) concerned, to ensure that standards are maintained.
These activities will be under the direction of staff from SQA’s Internal Assessment Delivery and Qualification Development directorates as appropriate.
Outline of duties
- Lead, direct, and support the quality assurance processes in accordance with SQA policy and specification.
- Provide leadership and support to the team involved in external quality assurance processes.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of qualification specific training for the team.
- Chair external quality assurance events where applicable, ensuring all procedures are conducted in line with SQA requirements.
- Monitor, support and quality assure the work of the team.
- Liaise with the Principal Assessors on the setting and monitoring of Course assessments where the course assessments contain an internally verified course assessment component.
- Support the Principal Assessors in preparing for grade boundary meetings by providing intelligence on internally assessed components of Course assessments, where applicable.
- Assist SQA in the review of overall performance in relation to internal assessments.
- Prepare an annual report and if applicable, assist in the preparation of external report.
- Assist Internal Assessment Delivery staff with policy and subject specific enquiries from centres, team members and SQA officers.
- Participate in centre complaint investigations if required.
- Ensure all activities are concluded within agreed time frames and that resources are used effectively and efficiently to achieve best value.
- Undertake performance management activity of the team where appropriate against Key Performance Measures.
- Additionally, Principal Verifiers may be asked to undertake the following activities. These activities will attract additional payment:
Undertake follow up activity to resolve issues identified at quality assurance events or visits when required.
Participate in SQA organised events where Principal Verifier input is required.
Contribute to Understanding Standards activities.
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering the Course (or a closely-related Course or work closely with current deliverers) and be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard
- have an in-depth understanding of all national standards documentation, duties, tasks and procedures associated with the qualification area for which they have responsibility
- demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of their team, providing leadership and support as required
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively; work professionally and co-operatively, with stakeholders, other appointees and SQA staff
- provide accurate feedback on performance to team members in a supportive and professional manner
- demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide attention to detail
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
- hold a current clean driving licence
Key Performance Measures for Principal Verifiers
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Principal Verifier contract specification, the Principal Verifier will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Ensure SQA verification activity is carried out within the conditions and timescales set by SQA.
- Train, develop and support members of the team to meet SQA verification activity requirements.
- Monitor team performance to meet SQA verification activity requirements.
- Ensure accuracy and consistency of decisions made by members of the team.
- Ensure reports generated by members of the team meet quality standard.
- Positive engagement with all members of the team through leadership and management of people.
- Positive engagement with all members of SQA staff.
- Complete Principal Verifier reports within conditions and timescales for SQA.