Question Paper Reviewer
A Question Paper Reviewer (QPR) is responsible for reviewing the Question Paper and supporting marking instructions under the direction of the Principal Assessor and/or Item Bank Leader. This work must be undertaken within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
The primary role is to review and prepare feedback on question papers and marking instructions to ensure subject specific integrity and the consistent application of national standards. This role will involve communicating and discussing this feedback during the Question Paper Review meeting.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Assessor, Item Bank Leader and staff from SQA’s Qualifications Development and Operational directorates as appropriate. There may be a requirement to undertake duties during weekends and holiday periods in your own time.
Outline of duties
- Review and prepare feedback on the course assessment/question paper and marking instructions in advance of the QP Review Meeting using the checklist provided. Feedback will be based on the following:
- balance and cohesiveness of the question paper
- using professional judgement, confirmation that the question paper can be completed within the allocated time
- that the text and layout of the Question Paper, Marking Instructions and any other related materials meet SQA requirements
- Attend the Question Paper Review meeting and communicate feedback on the question paper and marking instruction
- Support SQA with continuous improvement developments.
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering a Course in the subject area at one or more levels (or a closely-related Course) and be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard
- have an in-depth understanding of national standards across the course/level in the subject area
- be able to demonstrate excellent organisational skills, administrative skills and attention to detail
- be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of the team
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively; work professionally and co-operatively with other appointees and SQA staff
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Question Paper Reviewer
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the QPR contract specification, the QPR will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance. Key Performance Measures are as follows:
- Quality Assure the question paper, meeting timelines and in accordance with SQA policy and instruction.
- Provide constructive feedback and suggestions for amendments to the question paper and marking instructions where appropriate.
- Attend the QP Review meeting.
- Positive engagement with members of the team and with members of SQA staff.