Question Paper Validator
A Question Paper Validator (QPV) is responsible for carrying out a final independent subject specialist check to ensure the course assessment is of the correct standard and fit for purpose. This work must be undertaken independently within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Assessor and staff from SQA’s Qualifications Development and Operational directorates as appropriate. The duties will be undertaken in the QPVs own time.
Outline of duties
- Verify that the question paper is of the correct standard and is fit for purpose using the QPV Checklist provided. This will include using professional judgement to:
- Prepare and submit feedback using the checklist provided in accordance with SQA timescales.
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering a Course in the subject area at one or more levels (or a closely-related Course) and be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard
- have an in-depth understanding of national standards across the course/level in the subject area
- be able to demonstrate excellent organisational skills, administrative skills and attention to detail
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively with SQA staff
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Question Paper Verifier
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the QPV contract specification, the QPV will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and by exception if their key performance measures are not met. Key Performance Measures are as follows:
- Quality Assure the Question Paper, meeting timelines and in accordance with SQA policy and instruction.
- Prepare and submit a QPV Checklist on completion of the process, providing constructive feedback and suggestions for amendments to the Question Paper where appropriate.
- Positive engagement with members of the team and SQA staff.