Question Paper Validator (QPV)
A Question Paper Validator (QPV) is responsible for carrying out a final check to ensure the course assessment is of the correct standard and fit for purpose. This work must be undertaken independently within the conditions, timescales and arrangements set by SQA.
These activities will be under the direction of the Principal Assessor, Item Bank Leader and staff from SQA’s Qualifications Development and Operational directorates as appropriate. There may be a requirement to undertake duties during weekends and holiday periods in your own time.
Outline of duties
- Verify that the question paper is of the correct standard and is fit for purpose using the QPV Checklist provided. Verification will be required for the following:
- using professional judgement confirmation that question paper can be completed within the allocated time
- that the text and layout of the Question Paper and any other related materials meet SQA requirements
- Prepare and submit feedback using the checklist provided in accordance with SQA timescales.
Successful candidates must:
- currently be delivering a Course in the subject area at one or more levels (or a closely-related Course) and be able to demonstrate excellence in assessing to the national standard
- have an in-depth understanding of national standards across the course/level in the subject area
- be able to demonstrate excellent organisational skills, administrative skills and attention to detail
- be able to communicate professionally, confidently and effectively with SQA staff
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Question Paper Validator
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the QPV contract specification, the QPV will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance. Key Performance Measures are as follows:
- Quality Assure the Question Paper, meeting timelines and in accordance with SQA policy and instruction.
- Prepare and submit a QPV Checklist on completion of the process, providing constructive feedback and suggestions for amendments to the Question Paper where appropriate.
- Positive engagement with members of the team and SQA staff.