The prime role of the Lead Verifier is to lead on the standardisation of quality assurance activity for their qualification sector* to ensure that good practice is shared and standards are maintained across our qualification programmes. This will be achieved with the support of a team of Depute Lead Verifiers.
The Lead Verifier will report to the Quality Manager, work closely with Depute Lead Verifiers, Senior Appointees and SQA staff from across the organisation who contribute to the quality assurance of our qualifications.
Outline of duties
- Plan, implement and review activities that support good practice and consistency of approach in quality assurance activities, as agreed by Quality Manager.
- Lead, support and monitor Depute Lead Verifiers to ensure the success and consistency of quality assurance activity for their qualification sector.
- Oversee the initial and on-going training and development of the appointees† within the qualification sector.
- Oversee quality assurance activities to ensure the sharing of good practice and consistency of approach in verification.
- Analyse data processes and practices to ensure that quality assurance in the qualification sector is effective and consistent.
- Contribute to the review of processes and resources to support consistency and quality improvement in the verification of qualifications.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of processes and resources which support consistency and quality improvement in the verification of qualifications.
- Report to SQA awarding body on the effectiveness of processes and activities related to the quality assurance of national standards in their qualification sector.
- Undertake any additional related duties as required.
Successful candidates must:
- currently hold a Senior/Principal Verifier post in the qualification sector
- be able to demonstrate good practice in assessing to national standards within a current qualification area
- be able to demonstrate good practice in both internal and external verification within a current qualification area
- be able to demonstrate good practice in leading a team of external verifiers in a current qualification area
- demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of a team, providing leadership and support as required
- communicate confidently and effectively particularly in a large group situation; work professionally and co-operatively, with stakeholders, other appointees and SQA staff
- provide accurate feedback on performance in a supportive and professional manner
- demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide attention to detail
- have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address
Key Performance Measures for Lead Verifier
Each year, on completion of the duties outlined in the Lead Verifier contract specification, the post holder will be measured against the following Key Performance Measures (KPMs) and informed of the outcome in relation to their performance.
- Train, develop and support Depute Lead Verifiers and Senior/Principal Verifiers to meet SQA requirements.
- Deliver training/events within the remit in accordance with policy and instructions by specified dates.
- Demonstrate behaviours outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Appointment which support SQA’s values.
*The ‘qualification sector’ is either National Qualifications or Higher National and vocational qualifications.
National Qualifications: Depute Lead Verifiers, Principal Verifiers, Senior Team Leaders and Team Leaders
Higher National & vocational qualifications: Depute Lead Verifiers, Senior External Verifiers and External Verifiers