SVQ 2 Frontline Environmental Services at SCQF level 5
The Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ 2) in Frontline Environmental Services at SCQF level 5 allows learners to demonstrate competence in job-related skills in their particular area of work and expertise. The SVQ covers areas including manual handling and lifting of loads, making sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety, contributing to the sustainability, maintenance and preservation of the environment, and working with others to improve customer service.
This qualification has been designed by EU Skills and is jointly awarded with the Waste Management Industry Training & Advisory Board (WAMITAB) to ensure relevance to the sector.
SVQs are based on National Occupational Standards (NOS). SQA works in partnership with other organisations to ensure that NOS are relevant to the current and future needs of Scottish industries.
This qualification is available through employers and training providers.
Why deliver this qualification
The SVQ in Frontline Environmental Services at SCQF level 5 is a re-accredited qualification.
Learners will gain an internationally recognised qualification which guarantees that they have the skills, knowledge and abilities required to carry out their role successfully. Employers will also benefit from their employees being proficient.
The SVQ is offered in the workplace. As assessment is carried out in the workplace this minimises any time learners would need to be away from their work.
Who does this qualification suit
This SVQ is suitable for:
- learners who may have just left school
- individuals who are currently in employment and who wish to obtain a formal qualification
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Learners should be in a job or placement where they are carrying out relevant tasks and responsibilities which allow then to gather the required evidence.
This qualification could provide progression to:
- an HNC in Sustainable Resource Management or a related area
- an SVQ 3 in Waste Supervisory Management
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority require to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Systems and Qualification Approval Guide.
How to assess
For general information on how to assess this qualification, please refer to the document Guidance on how to assess SVQs. For detailed guidance on how to assess this particular SVQ, please refer to the Assessment Strategy.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
The SVQ Frontline Environmental Services at SCQF level 5 consists of 4 mandatory Units and 6 optional Units.
For details of the Units making up the SVQ, please refer to the Qualification Structure (92 KB).
National Occupational Standards
Unit information for this qualification is available on our Accredited Qualification Unit Search.
Core Skills signposting
Awarding partnership arrangements
This qualification is jointly awarded with the Waste Management Industry Training & Advisory Board (WAMITAB).
This SVQ can be a component in the level 2 Scottish Modern Apprenticeship in Sustainable Resource Management.
This SVQ is a mandatory component in the Level 2 Sustainable Resource Management Modern Apprenticeship.
SQA also offers the following components of this Apprenticeship:
- GF9H 22 SVQ 2 in Waste Operations: Waste Collection Operative Competency
- GF9G 22 SVQ 2 in Waste Operations: Waste Collection Driver Competency
- GF9J 22 SVQ 2 in Waste Operations: Waste Site Operative Competency
- GF9L 22SVQ 2 in Waste Operations: Waste Weighbridge Competency
- GF9K 22 SVQ 2 in Waste Operations: Waste Team Leader Competency
- GG33 45 Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Sustainable Resource Management Knowledge
|Unit Title||SCQF 5|
|Core Skills: Communication||F427 04|
|Core Skills: Numeracy||F42B 04|
|Core Skills: Information and Communication Technology||F42F 04|
|Core Skills: Problem Solving||F42K 04|
|Core Skills: Working with Others||F42P 04|
Information about delivery, assessment, quality assurance and support material
Candidate Guidance and Portfolio
Information about the qualification(s)
SVQ 2 Frontline Environmental Services at SCQF level 5 GG2L 22
This qualification has been replaced and is now in its lapsing period and will finish on 30/09/2017.
Centres should note:
- The qualification will be deleted from the relevant catalogue
- The qualification’s content and delivery tools will remain on SQA’s website until 30/09/2017 at which point they will be removed and archived
- No new centres may be approved to offer the qualification
- No candidates can be entered for the qualification
- Centres should ensure candidates complete the qualification and results are submitted to SQA before 30/09/2017.