Food and Drink Operations (Food Sales and Service Skills)
The Scottish Vocational Qualification (SVQ 2) in Food and Drink Operations (Food Sales and Service Skills) at SCQF level 5 develops skills in a broad range of areas such as maintaining food safety standards and maintaining the workplace.
The qualification offers a unique mix of Units including: selling food products; displaying food products; food service; preparing food orders; storing goods and materials; and controlling stock level competences.
Developed by Improve Ltd (changed to NSFADA (National Skills Food and Drink Academy)), the sector skills council for the food and drink manufacturing sector, the SVQ in Food and Drink Operations qualification is awarded in partnership with SQA and Improve (NSFADA), SQA and SFMTA (Scottish Federation of Meat Traders Association) or SQA and Scottish Bakers. It is available through employers and training providers.
This SVQ must be assessed in the workplace, so is only suitable for individuals employed in the food industry.
Why deliver this qualification
The SVQ 2 in Food and Drink Operations (Food Sales and Service Skills) at SCQF level 5 is a new qualification for the growing food and drink manufacture sector. It has been developed as a result of a review of the National Occupational Standards.
The SVQ can be offered in any of the following modes:
- part-time (eg day-release)
- open and distance learning
- infill into existing classes
- evening provision
Who does this qualification suit
This SVQ is suitable for:
- people working in food service — for example in a deli, café or hotel
- those who work as part of a team providing a counter, take-away or table service of food or beverages where they may also deal with customers and handle payments — for example in cafes, butchers, restaurants, hotels, pubs, supermarkets (butchery, fish or deli counters)
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
No prior qualifications are required to undertake this qualification, although experience in/knowledge of their subject would be an advantage.
The SVQ 2 at SCQF level 5 could provide progression to:
- SVQ 3 in Food and Drink Operations at SCQF level 6
- degree level study at a higher education institution
- career development employment in the food sales and service sector
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority require to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Systems and Qualification Approval Guide.
How to assess
Assessment of this award will be through a series of theoretical and practical assessments or tasks. Some assessments will be carried out under supervised open-book conditions, others under supervised closed-book conditions.
The assessment strategy does not allow for workplace simulation. The assessment strategy does not allow for workplace simulation. The assessment requirements are detailed in Improve’s Assessment Strategy 2013 and SQA’s Assessment Guidance for this award.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
National Occupational Standards
Centres/candidates undertaking these Courses should also refer to the full National Occupational Standards for information relating to the overview and scope.
Unit information for this qualification is available on our Accredited Qualification Unit Search.
Core Skills signposting
- Core Skills Signposting (281 KB)
Awarding partnership arrangements
- GG68 22 is jointly awarded with Scottish Federation of Meat Traders Association.
- GG61 22 is jointly awarded with Scottish Bakers.
- GG50 22 is jointly awarded with Improve.
This SVQ is a mandatory component in the Level 2 Food and Drink Operations Modern Apprenticeship.
SQA also offers the following components of this Apprenticeship:
- F426 04 Core Skills: Communication SCQF level 4
- F42N 04 Core Skills: Working with Others SCQF level 4
- F42J 04 Core Skills: Problem Solving SCQF level 4
- F42E 04 Core Skills: Information and Communication Technology SCQF level 4
- F42A 04 Core Skills: Numeracy SCQF level 4
For further information on the Level 2 Food and Drink Operations Modern Apprenticeship please visit: http://improveltd.co.uk/scotland/frameworks-scotland
Information about delivery, assessment, quality assurance and support material
Candidate Guidance and Portfolio
- Guidance for candidates starting an SVQ (626 KB)
- Candidate Portfolio A4 Cover (118 KB)
- Candidate blank recording forms (616 KB)