Alcohol Licensing Qualifications
SQA’s alcohol licensing qualifications support those working in the licensed trade in Scotland. They allow individuals to show that they can work responsibly and that they understand how the licensing process applies to their jobs.
- The Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders is for those who authorise the sale of alcohol, or manage or supervise in premises where alcohol is sold. It is a ‘relevant qualification’ under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 for anyone applying for a personal licence in Scotland.
- All Personal licence holders must complete refresher training within five years of the date that their licence was issued. They then must produce evidence of having completed the refresher training to the Licensing Board that issued their Personal Licence no later three months after this deadline. A certificate of achievement for the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (Refresher) qualification is the recognised way of doing this.
- All staff who sell or serve alcohol are required to have a minimum of two hours of training on alcohol licensing legislation before they begin work. The Scottish Certificate for Safe Sale and Service of Alcohol is a reliable way to cover this requirement.
These qualifications are based on the National Standards for Personal Licence Holders and Staff Training and meet the mandatory qualification and training requirements of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 and the Alcohol etc. (Scotland) Act 2010.
For advice and guidance on mandatory training requirements, go to http://scplh.info.
News and announcements
In January 2016 the Chief Medical officers for the UK updated their advice on lower-risk drinking and issued three new guidelines:
- A weekly guideline on regular drinking
- Advice on single episodes of drinking
- A guideline on pregnancy and drinking
A summary of the new guidelines is available here.
Full details are available here here.
Why deliver this qualification
They emphasise the responsible sale of alcohol and align with the aspirations of the Scottish Government’s Alcohol Framework for Action which sets out a strategic approach to tackling alcohol misuse in Scotland.
They are based on the National Standards for Personal Licence Holders and Staff Training that were developed in conjunction with the Scottish Government, People 1st (the sector skills council for hospitality, tourism and passenger transport), the licensed trade and qualification awarding bodies.
The qualifications are supported by competitively priced candidate handbooks — for pre-course study and post-course reference.
Tutor notes, PowerPoint presentations and activities are provided free of charge to all SQA- approved centres. See ‘Information for centres’ below for access.
SQA does not charge for candidates to re-sit the alcohol licensing qualifications.
The qualifications can be offered in the following modes: via one day/half-day courses*, as appropriate, with assessment using either a paper-based or online examination at the end of the course.
*Please note, some centres additionally offer online delivery.
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of individuals including:
- those employed in the licensed trade sector in either on-sales or off-sales environments who need to demonstrate that they have met legislative requirements
- those seeking employment in the licensed trade sector
Entry is at the discretion of the centre. However, it would be beneficial if candidates had some knowledge or experience of the licensed on-sales or off-sales trade in Scotland, for example by working or through prior study.
- The Scottish Certificate for Safe Sale and Service of Alcohol is included as an Enhancement in the Modern Apprenticeship in Hospitality at SCQF level 5
- The Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders and the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (Refresher) are included as an Enhancement in the Modern Apprenticeship for Hospitality Supervision and Leadership at SCQF level 7 and as an Optional Outcome in the Technical Apprenticeship in Hospitality Management Skills at SCQF level 8
Full details of the Scottish Hospitality Apprenticeship frameworks can be found at: http://www.people1st.co.uk/apprenticeships/scotland
SQA’s alcohol licensing qualifications may provide progression opportunities to:
- SCQF level 6/7
- an HNC/HND in Hospitality or Retailing
- an SVQ in the hospitality or retailing sectors
- employment in the licensed trade sector, perhaps as a bar person, waiter, retail assistant, personal licence holder, premises licence holder, supervisor, manager
All centres wishing to deliver the alcohol licensing qualifications must comply with the Training Delivery and Assessment Strategy, which can be downloaded from the following link: SCPLH Training Delivery and Assessment Strategy
and the Operational Handbook which can be download from the following link: information for centres.
Centres wishing approval should contact the Business Development Team in the first instance.
How to assess
The Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders and the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (Refresher) are assessed by an externally set, multiple choice examination with 40 questions.
The Scottish Certificate for Safe Sale and Service of Alcohol is assessed by an externally set, multiple choice examination with 25 questions.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group Award code: GG7T 46 (1 SCQF credit points)
The Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders at SCQF level 6 consists of 1 mandatory Unit
Group Award code: GG7N 46 (1 SCQF credit points)
The Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (Refresher) at SCQF level 6 consists of 1 mandatory Unit (1 SCQF credit points)
Group Award code: GG7R 45 (1 SCQF credit points)
The Scottish Certificate for Safe Sale and Service of Alcohol at SCQF level 5 consists of 1 mandatory Unit (1 SCQF credit points)
Information for Centres
Detailed information on:
- Operational handbook
- Tutor and Course delivery information
- Course notification/Question Paper Order Form
- Markers Report
- Examination Paper Control Document
- Invigilator Incident Report Form
is available in our information for centres area.
Where can you do these qualifications?
You can do these qualifications through any SQA approved centre below. Trainers from the centres use a range of venues across the country and you should contact them directly to check the date and location of courses they are running.
- 5 Star Hospitality Training
- Anna Walls Consultancy
- Aspire HLTC Ltd
- DG Training Dumfries
- DGC Training Services Ltd
- DM Training Consultants
- Dundee and Angus College
- Dunedin Associates
- Effective Solutions Training and Consultancy
- ESL Training Services Ltd
- F1 Training Services (UK) Ltd
- Flow Hospitality Training Ltd*
- GNE Consultancy
- Go@l Training
- HSC Futures Ltd
- LR Quality Training Ltd
- MGT Training Limited
- Moray College
- North Highland College
- On Track Training
- Orkney College
- The PCT Partnership Ltd
- People Solutions (Scotland) Ltd
- Pinnacle Construction Services
- Quest (Scotland) Ltd
- Scottish Licence Training
- Trustcare International Ltd
- Unique Solutions
- Urban Training
* this centre offers online delivery
- Approved Centre Contact Details (13 KB)
Internal Assessment Reports
Alcohol Licensing Qualifications Operational Handbook
Offer this qualification