Waste Management Operations: Managing Physical and Chemical Treatment — Non-Hazardous
The Diplomas in Waste Management Operations have been developed by Energy and Utility Skills and are awarded jointly in Scotland by SQA and the Waste Management Industry Training and Advisory Board (WAMITAB).
The Diploma in Waste Management Operations: Managing Physical and Chemical Treatment — Non-Hazardous Waste at SCQF level 7 provides the skills needed for the operational handling of non-hazardous waste, including the management of residues. It is ideal for people who are working at supervisory or management level in a waste management operations facility who wish to prove their competence.
This qualification is available through employers, colleges and training providers.
Why deliver this qualification
The Scottish Government’s Zero Waste Plan states that: ‘Zero Waste Scotland will develop a programme to support continual improvement in health and safety and workforce skills in the resource management sector’. The Diplomas in Waste Management Operations are a key part of the plan, providing and certifying the skills and knowledge of the workforce.
The Diplomas are very flexible qualifications and can be tailored to meet an organisation’s requirements. There are four distinct pathways:
- Managing Physical and Chemical Treatment – Hazardous Waste
- Managing Physical and Chemical Treatment – Non-Hazardous Waste
- Managing Transfer – Hazardous Waste
- Managing Transfer – Non-Hazardous Waste
The Diploma in Waste Management Operations: Managing Physical and Chemical Treatment — Non-Hazardous Waste at SCQF Level 7 can be offered:
- part-time (eg day-release)
Who does this qualification suit
This Diploma is suitable for:
- people of all ages at any stage in their career
- adults returning to education
- employed learners who wish to enhance their career prospects
- unemployed learners who wish to enhance their job prospects
- learners wishing to move from one sector of the industry to another
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
This Diploma could provide progression to:
- an HNC/HND in subject or related area, for example, Sustainable Resource Management
- related degree programmes
- Diplomas in Waste Management Operations
Centres with devolved authority are eligible to seek approval through their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact the Business Development Team for guidance in completing the form.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as well as any specific requirements of the EU Skills Assessment Strategy, which underpins the quality assurance for this Diploma.
How to assess
The Diploma is designed to be assessed in the workplace, or in conditions of the workplace.
Assessment evidence will primarily be generated via workplace evidence. Centres may wish to prepare question banks to test the knowledge and understanding of candidates undertaking the qualification.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
Group Award Code: GG1M 47
The Diploma in Waste Management Operations: Managing Physical and Chemical Treatment — Non-Hazardous Waste at SCQF level 7 consists of 12 mandatory Units.
For further information on the structure of this qualification please refer to the Qualification structure (138 KB)
National Occupational Standards
Unit information for this qualification is available on our Accredited Qualification Unit Search.
Awarding partnership arrangements
Information about delivery, assessment, quality assurance and support material
- Guidance on assessment of Awards, Certificates and Diplomas (478 KB)
- Guidance for candidates starting an Award, Certificate or Diploma (503 KB)