Learning and Development
Qualifications Assessed in the Workplace
Learning and Development qualifications that are assessed in the workplace include:
- Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) in Learning and Development
- Professional Development Awards (PDAs) for Assessors and Verifiers.
The qualifications mirror the latest National Occupational Standards (2.78 MB) developed by Lifelong Learning UK (LLUK) and now overseen by the Learning and Skills Improvement Service (LSIS).
SVQs in Learning and Development are suitable for people working within training or learning development roles, with individuals or groups of learners. They enable candidates to develop planning, design, delivery, assessment and evaluation skills in learning and development contexts.
Workplace PDAs for Assessors and Verifiers at SCQF levels 8 and 9 are suitable for anyone assessing or verifying in the workplace.
SQA support materials are available from the SQA secure site via centre's SQA Co-ordinators. These include the Standards with assessment guidance and Evidence Requirements; CPD Toolkit and Templates; and a range of other support and guidance materials.
- Assessment Strategy (196 KB)
- Training Cycle (100 KB)
FAQs for Assessors and Verifiers
- A new version of FAQs for Assessors and Verifiers is available: FAQs for Assessors and Verifiers (253 KB)
Guidance on RPL for Qualified Assessors and Internal Verifiers
Guidance has been created to clarify the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) requirements for active workplace and non-workplace assessors and Internal Verifiers, who wish to gain the new workplace assessor and Internal Verifier Units, Units L&D 9D/9DI and L&D 11 respectively.
This guidance and associated documentation is available from the SQA secure site via centre's SQA Co-ordinators.
Updated SQA guidance on Assessor/Verifier qualifications
We have revised our guidance document: Choosing Appropriate Assessor and/or Verifier Qualifications (182 KB) [July 2014]
Assessor and Verifier Competence (September 2013)
SQA recognises QCF qualifications for Assessors and Verifiers where they cover both knowledge and competence: Assessor and Verifier Competence [September 2013]
Suitability of workplace standards/qualifications for achieving assessor and verifier Units
A checklist has been developed to help centres determine the suitability of some workplace standards/qualifications for the purposes of achieving Units LD9D/ LD9DI / LD911:
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Internal Assessment Reports
Information for Centres
- SQA Approval Guidance for SCQF Workplace and non-workplace Assessor and Verifier qualifications and SVQs in Learning and Development (377 KB)
- Assessor and Verifier Units through assessing/verifying workplace standards/qualifications (151 KB) - not subject to awarding body quality assurance: a checklist for SQA approved centres
- Learning and Development NOS (123 KB) (including SQA Unit Codes)