Energy Efficiency Measures for Older and Traditional Buildings
The Award in Energy Efficiency Measures for Older and Traditional Buildings at SCQF level 6 raises awareness of energy efficiency measures for older, traditional or vulnerable buildings built prior to 1919.
Candidates may be working in a role where they have responsibility for producing energy performance certificates (eg as a domestic energy adviser/assessor, a Green Deal Adviser, a housing surveyor, or installer).
On completing the qualification, candidates will be competent in:
- recognising the age, nature and characteristics of older and traditional buildings
- assessing options for the introduction of energy efficiency measures for older and traditional buildings
- making recommendations and giving advice on the introduction of energy efficiency measures
This Award has been developed by the Sector Skills Council Asset Skills. It is available through colleges and training providers.
Why deliver this qualification
Energy is a key economic sector for the UK. Within the built environment, government initiatives such as feed-in tariffs, the Renewable Heat Incentive, and particularly the Green Deal, demonstrate a wider commitment to not only reducing carbon emissions, but also cutting energy costs, improving energy efficiency and tackling fuel poverty.
There are approximately 15,000 energy assessors working in the UK and this number is expected to grow as the popularity of Green Deal increases. Whilst there isn't a regulatory requirement for Green Deal energy advisers and assessors to undertake this additional small qualification, it is expected that many will wish to do so to top-up their existing knowledge.
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of candidates. It will be of interest to people who are providing energy advice/assessments and making recommendations for energy efficiency measures.
This qualification would also suit:
- individuals in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- employers who wish their employees to take part in short, continuing professional development courses
- those who are seeking national recognition of their achievements
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
No prior qualifications or knowledge are required to undertake this qualification. However, it is anticipated that candidates would have knowledge of buildings, as it is likely they would have a background in working with energy performance certificates as a domestic energy advisor, Green Deal advisor, housing surveyor, or installer.
- The Award in Energy Efficiency Measures for Older and Traditional Buildings could open up more employment opportunities and career prospects.
- The Award complements the following SQA Green Deal qualifications –
- GF5Y 04 Certificate in Remote Green Deal Advice
- GF5X 04 Diploma in Green Deal Domestic Advice
- GF60 04 Diploma in Green Deal Non-Domestic Advice
- Candidates who undertake the Award in Energy Efficiency Measures for Older and Traditional Buildings may be interested in progressing to other qualifications relevant to the sector or related to insulation and building treatments.
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA's Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA's general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval (510 KB).
How to assess
The Award is designed to be assessed in the workplace or in conditions of the workplace.
Assessment Guidance and Units are available on SQA's website. All Outcomes and in each Unit must be achieved. Written and/or oral recorded evidence is required for all Outcomes.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Information about the qualification(s)
Information about delivery, assessment, quality assurance and support material
- Asset Skills Assessment Principles. (225 KB)