Skills for Work: Automotive Skills National 4 (SCQF level 4)
The National 4 Skills for Work Course: Automotive Skills at SCQF level 4 provides an introduction to the automotive industry and a progression route into further education, training or employment in the industry.
The Course covers areas such as vehicle maintenance and repair, fitting, electrical work, paint operations and roadside assistance — and develops the practical skills, problem solving skills, and knowledge and understanding needed in the automotive industry.
Learners will also develop transferable employability skills, including:
- an understanding of the workplace and the employee’s responsibilities (eg time-keeping, appearance, customer care)
- self-evaluation skills
- positive attitude to learning
- flexible approaches to solving problems
- adaptability and positive attitude to change
- confidence to set goals, reflect and learn from experience
Why deliver this qualification
This Course focuses on developing generic employability skills needed for success in the workplace through a variety of practical experiences in the automotive skills area. It is designed to enable candidates to develop and put into practice some of the basic hand skills and problem solving abilities that an automotive technician requires.
There is considerable flexibility of topics and contexts to facilitate personalisation and choice for learners and centres — and to allow new and stimulating contexts for learning to be built into the Course.
It is anticipated that the Course will build on existing partnerships between schools, colleges of further education, employers and other training providers. Such partnerships will enable the Course to be delivered in a variety of appropriate learning environments with access to relevant teaching expertise.
Who does this qualification suit
This qualification is suitable for a wide range of learners including:
- pupils from mainstream schools or other education establishments
- school leavers
- adult returners to education
- learners in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
- learners participating in 16+ programmes
- college students wishing to develop their skills and knowledge in relation to the automotive industry
- trainees participating in preparation for entering employment
- individuals involved in voluntary activities
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Successful learners may progress to:
- Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) and Modern Apprenticeships in automotive areas
- further education
- training/employment in the automotive industry
Centres with devolved authority for approval should use their own internal approval process.
Centres without devolved authority will have to come forward for approval and should contact SQA’s Business Development Team for guidance.
Assessors and verifiers must be able to meet SQA’s general requirements for technical/occupational competence as outlined in the Guide to Approval.
How to assess
There is no external assessment for this Course. Learners must successfully complete each Unit to achieve the Course.
Unit specifications provide detailed information on the Evidence Requirements for each Unit. The Unit Support Notes provide information on approaches to assessment for each Unit.
The Units are internally assessed by centres and externally verified by SQA.
Where can you take this course?
Qualification content and delivery tools
Group Award code C271 74 (24 SCQF credit points)
The Skills for Work Course in Automotive Skills at SCQF level 4 consists of four mandatory Units.
For further information on the structure and units of this qualification please refer to the Course Specification document.
Internal Assessment Reports
Offer this qualification