Qualification design principles
Design principles are the blueprint for all SQA qualifications. They outline the features our qualifications must have in order to ensure that our standards are maintained.
- Design Principles for Higher National Qualifications
- Design Principles for SVQs
- Design Principles for Professional Development Awards (PDAs)
- Design Principles for National Courses
- Design Principles for National Courses being implemented from 2013/14
- Design Principles for National Certificates
- Design Principles for National Progression Awards
- Design Principles for Baccalaureates
- Design Principles for Awards
- Design Principles for Skills for Work courses developed from 2013/14
- Design Principles for Alternative Competence Based Qualifications (Initial Pilot Phase only)
- Language of Assessment and Certification of Units and Qualifications Validated by SQA (delivered in the United Kingdom)
- Language of assessment in Units and Qualifications validated by SQA (candidate assessment undertaken outside of the United Kingdom in languages other than English)
- Language of Assessment and Certification in Accredited Units and Qualifications Offered by SQA (delivered in the United Kingdom)
- Equality of Access to SQA Qualifications
- Malpractice in Internally Assessed qualifications
- Devolvable Approval Status
Devolvable approval status is used by centres to differentiate between qualifications that they are able to approve using their own processes and others that may only be approved by SQA
- Recognition of Prior Learning in the Internal Assessment and Quality Assurance
This policy ensures that the value and credibility of SQA Units are maintained where the recognition of prior learning is used
- Record Keeping of Ofqual Accredited Qualifications
- Record Retention Policy for SQA Centres delivering HN and Vocational Qualifications
This policy ensures that sufficient assessment and verification records are retained to allow for the review of assessment over time. It also ensures that national standards are maintained and minimises the risk of any wrongful certification claims.
- Retention of Candidate Assessment Evidence for Centres delivering HN and Vocational Qualifications
- Sanctions for Non-Compliance of Centre Approval Criteria
- Evidence Retention Policy for SQA Centres delivering New National Qualifications
- Core Skills and other Generic Skills for Learning, Life and Work
This policy establishes the use of the Core Skills Framework across all qualifications, including those developed in support of Curriculum for Excellence (CfE). It replaces the policy on Core Skills across HN and NQ qualifications and incorporates the approach adopted in qualifications using Skills for Learning, Life and Work.
- Core Skills Framework
- Core Skills: Credit Transfer
The policy sets out credit transfer arrangements for NC modules in Core Skills.
- SQA Skills Framework: Skills for Learning, Skills for Life and Skills for Work
This policy establishes the inclusion of SQA’s Skills Framework: Skills for Learning, Skills for Life and Skills for Work across all qualifications developed to support Curriculum for Excellence.