Senior External Verifier
The primary role of the Senior External Verifier is to ensure that all approval and verification activities are undertaken by their team and are carried out in line with SQA policies, procedures and guidelines.
These activities will be under the direction of staff from SQA’s Quality Assurance Logistics Operations - HN and Vocational Qualifications team.
Outline of duties
- Lead team members and manage the standardisation process.
- Support and develop team members, providing mentoring and coaching as required.
- Monitor the practice of individuals and the overall performance of the team.
- Liaise with Qualification Manager/Officers regarding subject specific issues and with Quality Assurance Logistic team concerning approval and verification issues as required.
- Complete administration duties supporting and monitoring team members ensuring all activities are concluded within agreed time frames and that resources are used effectively and efficiently to achieve best value.
Additionally, Senior External Verifiers may be asked to undertake the following activities. These activities will attract additional payment.
- Carry out Prior Verification of submitted instruments of assessment
- Undertake additional verification or investigative activity as requested
- Participate in SQA organised events where Senior External Verifier input is required
- Collation and writing of Annual Internal Assessment Reports
Successful candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate up-to-date subject knowledge and a high level of expertise in assessment across the range of courses, levels, qualification types, verification group(s) and the areas for which they are responsible. Senior External Verifiers will be expected to have appropriate academic, vocational or professional qualifications or expertise in the same or closely related subject area for which they seek an appointment.
- Display through all aspects of the role, SQA Values (Progressive, Enabling, Trusted).
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be able to engage positively with all members of their team, providing management and support as required.
- Communicate confidently, effectively and professionally with their team, Head of Centre and /or SQA Co-ordinator and SQA staff both orally (at briefings and meetings) and in writing (reports).
- Provide accurate, professional and supportive feedback on performance to team members and to SQA.
- Demonstrate excellent organisational and administrative skills and provide an attention to detail.
- Have a home computer or laptop with broadband internet connection and a private e-mail address.
- Hold a current clean driving licence.
- In addition, Senior External Verifiers engaged in HN (work-based) and SVQ external verification will be expected to have achieved or be working towards a nationally recognised External Verifier Qualification.