NQ Understanding Standards
Our Understanding Standards programme supports teachers and lecturers by developing their understanding of the national standards required for assessment. It aims to build their confidence in preparing and assessing learners in National courses and units, and includes:
- Training events for SQA Nominees
- Subject-specific course assessment events for teachers and lecturers
- Published candidate evidence and commentary materials
- Continuing professional development (CPD) training events and webinars
- Subject-specific audio presentations
Events and webinars 2016-17
Visit our NQ events page to find out more about our programme of Understanding Standards course events and subject-specific CPD webinars.
CPD training requests
We offer free CPD training for teachers and lecturers where particular areas of concern are identified which are not already addressed by the Understanding Standards programme. CPD requests should be completed by the requesting local authority, independent school or college using our online form. Find out more about our CPD support.
Available Understanding Standards materials
Materials from Understanding Standards events
Candidate evidence and commentaries
Candidate evidence and commentaries contain real examples of candidate assessment evidence, with a commentary that explains why the evidence has or has not been awarded specific marks.
You can access candidate evidence and commentaries from the following locations:
SQA secure website
- unit assessment
- internally assessed components of course assessment
- components of course assessment which are subject to visiting verification
Understanding Standards website (www.understandingstandards.org.uk)
- externally assessed components of course assessment.
CPD training materials and webinar recordings
We will publish CPD training materials and/or webinars where appropriate, after each event or webinar has taken place.
Understanding Standards audio presentations
We are developing audio presentations that give a detailed overview of the standards and assessments for each suite of National Qualifications. These are being published on an adhoc basis.